How to Communicate Culture to Your CandidatesAugust 7, 2023
What is a #2 Leader in Small Businesses?November 30, 2023
What is an EOS® Integrator?
So, what is an EOS® Integrator? What do they do?:
An EOS Integrator is the #2 leader in a business running on EOS® and works directly with the Visionary to execute their vision. Leaders in the Integrator role are accountable to the business plan (V/TO™) and the Profit & Loss (PnL) statement. Because of their responsibilities to the health and success of the business the Integrator™ holds the Leadership team accountable and owns the tiebreaker vote.
Similar Roles and Titles to help define what an EOS® Integrator is:
The EOS® Integrator™ role shares similarities in expectations and responsibilities to position titles that you are likely familiar with already. if you are new to EOS or other Business Operating Systems, the Integrator is the “right hand” or the #2 leader in a small business. Titles you might be familiar with that are closely related to the Integrator role are:
- General Manager
- Chief Operating Officer
- Director of Operations
- Second in Command (2iC)
The key difference between the EOS® Integrator™ and the other position titles is that the EOS® Integrator™ is specific to EOS and is accountable for rolling out and sustaining the specific tools, scorecards, and meeting formats and cadences that from the backbone of a company running on EOS®.
What are the EOS Integrator’s Responsibilities?:
An EOS® Integrator™ is often responsible for directing, overseeing, and holding the leadership team accountable. Often times they are the final authority for each of the departments: Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations, and Administration. The title “Integrator” comes from the idea that they integrate the departments and their leaders into one organized and aligned team working together to achieve the vision and goals set forth in the one page business plan or V/TO™.
Therefore the Integrator maintains the EOS framework inside small businesses. Other structures of EOS® implementation that Integrators support:
- Train the tools in the EOS® Toolbox
- Align key processes across all departments
- Resolve problems and conflicts with well-thought-out solutions
- Ask the tough questions
- Ensure the organization lives and breathes its Core Values
- Hold the team accountable to their Rocks
- Promote teamwork and open and honest communication that supports company culture
As one of the most important positions in EOS®, the Integrator™ directly reports to the Visionary and has the authority necessary to execute the Visionary’s big-picture goals and dreams.
What are the Key Traits of an EOS Integrator?:
Vision Spark has successfully placed over 150 EOS® Integrators™. And using our science-based (VisionSpark Assessment) approach to identify the right candidates, we’ve identified six non-negotiable traits of a successful Integrator™:
- Strategic thinker. An EOS® Integrator™ has the mental acuity to learn, anticipate, and solve problems quickly. They understand business terms and can retain and recall information that aids in decision-making. They also question the status quo and analyze facts deeply.
- Strong communicator. An EOS® Integrator™ has a broad vocabulary, understands their own emotions to empathize and connect with others, yet is assertive with making decisions and controlling situations.
- Process-oriented. An EOS® Integrator™ is organized, flexible, and has a strong perception of numbers and symbols that is crucial in understanding and managing business procedures. They also have a mechanical interest in knowing how processes, technologies, and methodologies work.
- People-oriented. An EOS® Integrator™ has the assertiveness and mental toughness to withstand criticism while showing empathy and guiding people and teams in the right direction.
- Organized. An EOS® Integrator™ excels at planning and organizing. They adapt well to change and are highly motivated to drive organizational growth.
- Coach. An EOS® Integrator™ encourages every employee to work toward maximum potential. Like the coach of a sports team, they motivate the team, communicate well, and are flexible enough to adapt their coaching styles to different individuals and situations.
Go deeper and learn more about Integrator’s attributes.
What is the business impact of a high performing EOS® Integrator?:
Most Visionaries wear multiple hats before they decide it’s time to hire an EOS® Integrator™ to help them with the day-to-day responsibilities of the business. It’s sometimes a difficult hire for a Visionary to make, because they’ve invested so much of themselves in the business. It can be hard to fight that internal struggle and let go of the vine. As it relates to supporting the visionary, the Integrator puts the right people get into the right seats. Including the visionary! They ensure that the Visionary is focused on the things they do best: Managed the big relationships, Set the strategic vision, and get out of the way.
- The Visionary can focus on what they are best at
- The business grows because there is someone solely responsible for implementing the vision
- Communication is increased
- Ideas are implemented faster
- Teams are held accountable
Visionaries who successfully install a terrific EOS Integrator realize they have:
- Freedom to pursue other passions inside the business and outside of it.
- The ability to rest easy knowing that the business is in good hands and they aren’t on call for every business emergency.
- Confidence to let go knowing that their team, their business, income, and reputation are being taken care of
Some companies begin by hiring a fractional Integrator™, eventually making that person a full-time employee.
Over the last decade, VisionSpark has built a proven methodology to hire and onboard an EOS® Integrator™. As a matter of fact, we used own process for ourselves in July of 2021 when Alec Broadfoot, our Visionary, hired his very first Integrator™, John Vidosh. Alec even talked about it during a breakout session at the 2022 EOS® Conference in Orlando, Florida.
Subsequently, Alec speaks from a place of confidence when he shares that a good EOS® Integrator™ helps to maintain your growth and build momentum toward future growth. Hiring John gave Alec more time to focus on his unique ability and experience better business performance.
EOS Integrator or EOS® Implementer which is it?:
We speak with visionaries and CEOs that are new to EOS and are confused by the terms EOS® Integrator™ and EOS® Implementer. However, they are completely different roles.
An EOS® Implementer™ is a:
- Consultant and coach – not an employee.
- Certified expert.
- They own their own EOS franchise dedicated to implementing the EOS framework for businesses.
- Their purpose is to help a team learn and understand the frameworks of EOS®
Therefore, you hire an EOS implementer to facilitate the implementation of EOS into your organization. They will help you identify if there is an Integrator in your organization today or if your company would be served by having one.
What is EOS®?
Gino Wickman, EOS Worldwide founder, defines the Integrator as the following:
“In EOS® companies, the Integrator is a critical executive-level role that complements the organization’s Visionary. Often taking the title of President, COO, General Manager, or Chief of Staff, the Integrator is ‘the tie-breaker for the Leadership team, the glue for the organization…[the one who] executes the business plan, holds the Leadership Team accountable, is the steady force in the organization…[and] who is the filter for all of the Visionary’s ideas…’”
The relationship between a Visionary and an Integrator is vitally important. The Integrator has to have the delicate balance of executing the Visionary’s goals, while also being a strategic thinker, a strong manager, and aligning with your company’s culture and core values.
Hire Your EOS® Integrator
If you’re looking to hire an Integrator learn more about our Integrator Search or want to talk through if you are ready, VisionSpark can help. We’ve been hiring EOS® Integrators™ for our clients with a 95% success rate, so we know how to do it well.
Let us help you find the Right People for the Right Seat and Hire with Confidence™. Contact VisionSpark today.